Monday, November 17, 2008

Timely Ambitions


In about two months, I'll be twenty five years old, which means that in no time at all, I will be thirty! I'm not scared, I'm just panicking. I feel like I'm in a mad dash to accomplish something by then. When I migrated from Trinidad, I was a year away from completing what is the equivalent of junior college and only two years away from finishing a university education. Which means I would have been out in the working world at the age of seventeen!!! Coming to New York set me back eight years, seriously. Most of my friends back home in Trinidad, are well into their careers and settled down into familial life, all under the age of thirty. Me, I haven't accomplished a damn thing! No college degree - though I was ambitious and wanted to earn one - the more I attended school, the less enthused I was about the fields I was studying and the path I was on. Soon enough I 'gave up', deciding not to continue wasting thousands of dollars on something I no longer had an interest in.
I'm now investing my money into a new goal, another sprint toward accomplishment. I'm hoping to open my own business - I am a dreamer by the way. I had this brilliant idea - one among millions - that I could start my own invitation/stationery/printing/publishing business, on my own! I have some experience in invitation and stationery printing, but none in publishing, at all, but how hard can it be?! I'm not naive in thinking it's an easy task, but I believe I can do it. I'm determine and stubborn enough to make it work.
It's crazy almost because the first piece of this ambitious quest is a 2200lb ancient letterpress machine that I need to move from Boston to Brooklyn. It's a beauty but it's a bitch trying to make schedules and hire people to move it. It has been a headache I've been dealing with for months but I'm not giving up. I can't wait to get it here and setup my studio and start working. Oh by the way, I have no freaking idea how to use a letterpress machine - remember, I said I was a dreamer ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment