Monday, November 17, 2008

My Press, Lily!


I just wanted to introduce you to my baby, Lily!

A 12"x18" Chandler & Price, New-Style letterpress that I've adopted to begin doing my work. Though she needs a bit of tender, loving care, she is a beauty in my eyes. I cannot wait to get her to Brooklyn and set up my studio and see her in action.


Like I've mentioned before, I have never in my life operated a letterpress machine. I only became interested in letterpress-ing about six months ago when I came across an article about it. I don't know what it was about the article, but it sparked an interest in me that made me want to seek out everything I could know about this antiquated machine. Described to be "like a kiss", the chunky metal arms move in graceful unison, pressing ink covered type to paper, making beautiful, unique indentations on paper. I love how each print can possess its own individuality. Unlike the precision of today's laser printers, prints on a letterpress can vary in ink coverage, placement, depth of the indentation, etc. I have been amazed by so many of the lovely designs many artists have created on these machines. With a few classes and a ton of practicing, I'm excited to see what I too can create with my baby, Lily.

Invitation by Dolce Press

No comments:

Post a Comment