Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Baby, Lily!



In one of my earlier blogs, I briefly spoke about the Chandler and Price, New Style letterpress, I purchased from a wonderful couple in Brookline, MA. I'm really excited about getting this press - in spite of the many torturous attempts to have it moved, which I've yet to be able to get done. I have been told that I'm crazy for getting this press. My friends thinks it's archaic, my mother says that it's a monster and others say it's a risky first press. I don't care. I haven't even seen the press in person and I adore it. I saw one up and running at a printer in the Bronx, NY and I was mesmerized by the way the thing works. It's like a dance between you and the machine. A continuous rhythm of movement to create beautiful work. What's not to love?! I've never been so invested into something like this before. The whole prospect of learning about something that was once considered a dead practice, and being able to start my own business, is all very overwhelming. However, quite fulfilling as well. I'm hoping to be able to have a studio setup by next summer, where I'll put a lot of elbow grease into making my Lily blossom.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I read about your moving predicament on BriarPress.org. I know your pain! My wife and I run a fully functional letterpress studio here in Staten Island and we'd be happy to rent you some time on our presses until your press arrives. We have both a Chandler & Price 10 x 15 and a Chandler & Price Pilot. I'd also be happy to teach you how to run them if you'd like. Let me know.

    -Matt Lenza
    Plum Blossom Press
    www.plumblossompress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Afeisha,

    This is my first time on your WONDERFUL site.I've been a press lover for years & years. Looking forward very much to chatting when you come to pick up the press. Great that you'll have someone like Matt to teach you how to use it.

    Mae Tupa
    Metaron Designs

    ReplyDelete