Saturday, December 20, 2008

Time to Get to Work

I got paper samples in a few days ago and I'm finally going to have some time, to scan stuff in and play around with the papers. I have to come up with five designs to actually create and post on my e-commerce page on Etsy.com by the year's end. Not much time left to meet this deadline, but I'm sure as hell going to try to.
The papers I got are all handmade and quite different from the mass produced stuff. I really took a liking to handmade papers a couple of months ago, when I began my research for my project. The low-impact method used in creating these papers, give each sheet its own unique characteristics, which I hope can lend itself to my invitation designs. For now, most of my designs are going to be based on layering/mixing these papers rather than graphic work, which I won't get into until maybe late Spring or early Summer.
Most of my colour palettes and use of patterns are derived from fashion trends of 2009 runway shows. Inspiration driven by wild prints, vibrant colours and play on shapes, fashion designers have opened up a pandora's box filled with infinite possibilities. I think my biggest task would be editing my samples and keeping them clean and classy, while on the edge of trendy creativity. I'll be harassing a bunch of my friends to help with this.
I'm no expert. I'm no graphic designer either. I just want to try to create something a little different. I want to be able to give these papers a modern flair. There is so much more to handmade papers than just the floral, deckle edged looks, and I think I can portray that. I know I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment